Manchester Evening News — The family of a man who mysteriously disappeared on a Greek holiday almost 10 years ago say they will never stop looking for him.
Steven Cook went missing in Malia, on the night of 31st August / September 1st 2005 on the first day of his holiday.
Steven Cook, from Cheshire, was 20 years old when he went missing. Despite high-profile public appeals and repeated searches of the Greek isle, Steven has never been found.
A fresh appeal has been launched and officers have created an image of how he might look today, approaching the tenth anniversary of his disappearance.
The Cook family have also released a statement and offered a reward of 7,000 Euros for any information that leads to finding him.
Steven’s relatives said: “We never expected that our much loved son, brother and uncle would go on his first holiday without family and not come back.
“During the past 10 years our love for him and hope that one day he will be back home with us has never diminished. Since then every day has been a battle to find him – a battle that we will never give up.
“Steven has new nieces, nephews and family that are yet to meet him but have heard all about what a brilliant, fun and loving person he is.
“We hope and pray that people going to any of the Greek islands keep an eye out for him, or share any information that they may find. Even if it’s just checking your holiday photos, he may be in them.
“We have had lots of potential sightings over the years but never any concrete evidence. Please help us to reunite our family so that we can all laugh and smile together again.”
Steven, who was 20 at the time and studying at Liverpool University, went missing on September 1, 2005. He was last seen outside a pub asking for directions to the Hotel Frixos, where he was staying.
Steven, from Sandbach near Congleton in east Cheshire, had travelled to the Greek Island with friends.
The Greek authorities launched an investigation at the time of his disappearance and Cheshire police have continued the search over the last decade, but Steven’s whereabouts have never been established.
Det Insp Gary McIntyre, from the force’s Major Investigation Team, said: “Someone out there must have some information about Steven in relation to his disappearance, his whereabouts or his movements since 2005 – and we are urging them to come forward and speak to us.
“At a time of year when many Brits are heading abroad we are asking holidaymakers to keep their eyes peeled and to let us know of any potential sightings of Steven – or any information, which could assist in the search for him.”
The force keep a file on Steven’s disappearance and they say it won’t be closed until they find out what happened to him.
Earlier this year, DI McIntyre took over the case after the original lead investigation officer retired. He was involved in the initial investigations and travelled to Crete at the time.
Now he has taken over the case, DI McIntyre is carrying out a full review in a bid to solve the mystery.
DI McIntyre added: “I remember this case well – and am in the process of going back through the case files to review them. I am maintaining regular contact with the Cook family and support them in their quest to find their son.
“This has been a long and difficult period for all the family and I hope that a fresh appeal will help to generate some new information.
“We are in contact with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to promote effective liaison between the Greek and British authorities and we continually appeal to anyone who may have any information relevant to Steven’s disappearance or who could in any way assist the Greek Police to ascertain what happened to Steven to contact Cheshire Police.”